Beaulieu Airfield was opened on Saturday 8 August 1942 and was used by both the Royal Air Force and then later United States Army Air Forces. During the war it was used as a bomber and fighter airfield. After the war, it was used for experimental work before it was closed in 1959.
Author: NFNPA Archaeology
Alongside the three main intersecting concrete runways, concrete dispersals, hangers and the perimeter road the station was constructed largely of Nissen huts of various sizes. These housed all the technical and organisational facilities as well as domestic requirements such as mess facilities; a chapel; a hospital; a mission briefing and debriefing; armouries and bomb stores; life support; supply hut; station and airfield security; motor transport, a post office and the other ground support functions necessary to support the men and women essential for the successful running of air operations.
A number domestic accommodation sites were dispersed away from the airfield, within a mile or so of the airfield providing accommodation for around 2,197 servicemen, including communal ablution facilities and sick quarters. One of these sites was desginated as Womens Auxiliary Air Force (WAAF) domestic quarters and it is still possible to see the remains of the concrete bases for the accommodation huts and two standing Stanton Air Raid Shelters. Other surviving concrete accomodation bases can be found at Stockley Inclosure and Perrywood Inclosure.
Please note the shelters are on private land, but can be seen clearly from the fence line
For further reading and articles on Beaulieu Airfield please visit: Beaulieu Airfield Overview